Thursday, November 22, 2012

Trip to Cotonou, Benin Replublic

My annual leave of July/August 2012 took me to Cotonou. The trip wasn't as tiring as that of Calabar but the experience was just alarming! I went in company of three of my girlfriends and we started off from Lagos where I was spending part of my vacation.

We boarded a cab from Mile 12 which took us straight to Idi Iroko which is the border and boarded another vehicle to Seme border. So far, no drama until we got to Seme border and had to change our currency to Cefa (Benin Republic Currency). We were warned of money disappearing after it had changed hands, thieves, fraudsters, etc. At last we trusted our instincts and changed it from a yoruba woman and we were favoured. I made sure I didnt travel with much money (Ijebu syndrome).













The border crossing was another drama entirely. I even had verbal altercation with one of the "okada" riders. (be warned if an okada rider at the Seme border asks you to let him keep your naira currencies because of Customs...It's a con!) The custom officers stylishly asked for "egunje" while the okada riders connived with them...SMH.

At last we got to Cotonou and meeen! the road was smooth, well tarred and clean! I loved the the country. There was electricity throughout. I saw countless movies. I had fun despite the language barrier...thank God I had french classes if not I would have been behaving like a deaf and dumb girl (looolz). It was a different thing for my friends because they couldn't understant or speak french to save their lives (he he he he ).

We went to the trade fair whilst there and bought stuffs. I got myself a set of bangles and candies!

No comments:

Post a Comment